Despite being two weeks from summer here in Melbourne, it is utterly freezing (it’s currently 15ºC?!). I made this loaf this morning for no other reason than boredom, but it ended up a lot better than expected! The spices give it a lovely warmth, and it’s delicious toasted spread with Nuttelex.
If you don’t/can’t have pine nuts, you can use any form of seed/nut you like, or simply omit them.
This loaf is quite dense. If you prefer less of a moist loaf, simply use 2/3 cup soy milk, or increase baking time.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup plain flour (spelt flour would also work nicely)
- 2 tsp bicarb soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (or less or more, to taste)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp rosemary, finely chopped
- Pinenuts, rosemary for garnish (optional)
- 325gm pumpkin, steamed until soft/mashable
- 4 tsp Orgran ‘No Egg’, whisked with 4 tbsp water
- 1 cup soy milk (or any dairy free milk of choice)
- Preheat oven to 180ºC and line a loaf tin with baking paper
- Blitz oats in a blender or food processor until they are a fine, flour-like consistency
- Add all dry ingredients to bowl of processor and quickly pulse until they are combined
- Add all wet ingredients to processor and blend until well combined and you have a uniform batter. You may need to scrape the bottom of bowl with a spatula to ensure all flour is incorporated.
- Pour into prepared loaf tin, sprinkle with garnish (if using) and bake for 35 minutes. Check, then continue baking in 5-10 minute increments until skewer comes out clean. I took mine out after 45 minutes, but it probably could have gone with another 5 minutes in the oven (though this depends on your oven, and how you like your bread!)
- Leave to cool in tin. Remove, slice and serve! It’s really delicious toasted under the grill, too!